Friday, February 12, 2010

Poker League - Week 6

Well, poker last night went well for me. Although, looking back on it, there wasn't very many exciting hands. I ended up in 2nd place out of the 24 people playing. And, my friend Ken ended up in first, so it was a good night all around. I know what you're thinking, Ken must be better than me....no, no, no...by the time we got heads-up, he easily had 6+ times the chips that I did. So, it was just a matter of finding the guts to push in. After me folding twice and him folding once, we finally pushed all in and he got one of his pair. No worries at all.

Of course, being in the tournament until the last hand, means that there was no time for cash games. But, I'll take a tournament cash over cash games any day.

Even though there weren't any exciting hands that I can think of, there is an interesting idea I need to mention. In our league, we had someone who couldn't make it, but they paid their entry. So, they put a stack of chips in a spot and blinded him out until his chips were gone. There is a lot of controversy about whether or not that should be allowed.

Since each tournament we earn points toward the final night, it was an advantage to the player to pay the $10 and get some point. This worked out very well for him, since his stack did better than 14 other people. Yep, by folding every hand, the stack ended up in 10th place.

So, the question is...should this be allowed in league play?

I have a few opinions on the matter...of course. But I haven't come to a conclusion yet.

The easy argument for it is that he paid his money and can play his hands anyway he wants...it would be the same as being there and folding every hand.

The easy argument against it is that he's not there and therefore shouldn't be getting points for the league.

Another thing about allowing it is that it actually discourages a player from finding a sub when he/she can't make it. So, if multiple people can't make it, they are just going to pay to get their points. And, there will me many stacks with empty chairs "playing" in the tournament...when, of course, slows down play and the amount of chips flying around a table. In addition, if 2 or 3 of those end up at the same table (by random draw), then that table won't have as many players seeing the flops and betting into the pots.

Well, I just thought I'd mention my few observations on the matter, let me know what you think about it. Should a league allow people to pay to blind out?

Poker Fund (+60)

No comments:

Post a Comment