Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Poker League - Week 8 & Trippers

I really need to start concentrating on playing well. I can be such a donkey just calling everything and hoping for luck.

I lost about $30 tonight. $10 in the tourney (I think I got 19th out of 23) and $20 in the cash game.

I'm just making way too many calls early in the tournament where my odds are less than 50/50...I need to tighten up and start reading the table better. Also, I need to learn to fold when I know someone has me beat. I am having a hard time doing that. "Live to play another hand".

On a similar note, I played at Trippers on Friday afternoon. I was in a very patient mode and wasn't rushing to make money. Despite only having 20 minutes to play total, I was up $35 up until the last hand. Then I kinda got tilted and lost $45...let me explain.

I had just won a pot and we were at a very friendly table. I had told the guys this hand was my last...since I was under the gun, I decided to straddle for $4, just to offer some money back to the table. There were 5 callers, including the 2 blinds and when it got back to me, I looked down at QQ. So, I decided that I just wanted to take the pot, show my hand and leave. So, I raised it another $22. However, the dealer pushed my $22 back to me and said I couldn't raise. I contested, "But I straddled". To which he retorted "Straddles aren't allowed by the state, you had just made a blind bet". And, since I vaguely remember that being true, I stopped arguing and took back my bet.

That was where I tilted.

So, after the flop came K-7-4 with 2 spades, I told myself someone probably has a King...but since I was willing to raise before the flop, I threw in $18 anyway. 3 people folded but the button (who was a good/tight/patient player) went all in for $41 all day. It folded back around to me and I couldn't talk myself into folding. So, I put the rest in and said "your King is good" as I was doing it. Sure enough, he had K-10 and won the hand.

Needless to say, I could have played that a lot better and not lost any more than $4. Also, I wouldn't have "blind bet", had I known, and raised enough pre-flop to get K-10 to fold, then I would have won the pot. But, whichever way I should have played it, I didn't and ended up loosing $45 more than I needed to ($10 total at Trippers).

Play smart Joe!

Poker Fund (-$40)

No comments:

Post a Comment